Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mountain retreats

I was just there for a board meeting this past weekend, but we did some meditation (2x daily) also. That was, of course, the best part. The board members are from a variety of Buddhist traditions: Zen, Tibetan, and Vipassana, and we also have a Quaker or two who regularly meditate.

The retreat schedule for 2008 is up on the Southern Dharma Retreat Center website. To get to it, go to http://www.southerndharma.org/RetreatSchedule2008.htm There are some for beginners, and some for more advanced. They let you know in the description. We started with beginner retreats back in 1996 and have been going back every year.

Each retreat is described (click on the link for each), so you can pick out what you like. And, yes, there are always women looking for ethereal men, but since I usually go there with my own ethereal man and am always very much focused on the retreat itself I don't pay attention to anyone else's doings.

The last retreat I attended was 12/27/07 to 1/04/08. The first half was Zen and yoga and the second half was a Tibetan retreat. The first one helped center me and relax me, and the second was very intellectual. The Tibetans are definately the most cerebral of the Buddhist traditions I think. In so many ways I'm still a beginner.

No comments: